What You Should and Should Not Thrift
When I’m not thrifting, I love hunting for bargains at mainstream stores. There’s often different advantages to shopping at both and I want to share a few of them with you!
• I look for things that fill a hole in my closet. We all get swept up in looking at pretty things at stores but I always stop to ask if an item will fulfill a purpose in my wardrobe. You really have to be honest with yourself and not just say “I need it because it’s cute!”
• I consider price and value. It’s no secret that thrift store prices are on the rise! If I know I can find an item for a few dollars more at a retail store, then I will likely consider buying it there.
• I always buy my basics full price. This includes camis, leggings, and socks. I view them as pieces that support almost every outfit so I’d prefer being the first owner so I can anticipate their shelf life better than if I bought one secondhand.
• I’ll buy something if I can’t find it at a thrift store. If I see something that I’ve been searching high and low for, I will definitely purchase it without hesitation.
• I look for unique things. While almost everything at thrift stores is one-of-a-kind, you can often find some special items first hand as well. This is especially true at small boutiques or specialty shops!
👗 WHAT I’M WEARING 💄
Maurices cardigan and booties, $46 total (shop exact cardigan, shop exact booties) | H&M jeggings, $12 (shop exact jeggings) | Thrifted tee, $1.50 (shop similar tee) | Gifted necklace | L’Oreal lipstick in Saucy Mauve (shop exact lipstick)
How To Shop Mainstream Stores
There’s no need to feel afraid of shopping mainstream stores if you’re usually a dedicated thrifter or have fears about the effects they have on our environment. An informed shopper is a good shopper! So shop thoughtfully, be educated, be strategic. Here’s a few other quick rules to follow:
• Shop small when possible.
• Choose stores with good core values and beliefs that match your own.
• Shop in places that make you feel welcome and have a friendly environment.
• If price is a factor, pick stores that frequently run sales.
My entire look in this post is a great example of everything I just laid out for you. My booties and cardigan are recent Maurices purchases, my tee was thrifted, my necklace was a gift, and my high rise jeggings were bought on sale at H&M.
All together you get one cute fall outfit but you’d never guess how it was all sourced!
If you found this post helpful, please be sure to Pin it for later or share it with a friend.
🛍 SHOP MY LOOK 🛍