Tips For Styling Those Hard-To-Wear Items In Your Closet
Styling hard-to-wear items in your closet can be tricky. However, with a few simple tricks, you can make them look fabulous! Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Accessorize: Adding the right accessories can make a huge difference in how an outfit looks. Try adding a statement necklace, a sparkly belt, or a colorful scarf to add interest.
- Layer: Layering is a great way to make a plain outfit look more interesting. Try adding a cardigan, vest, or jacket to add a bit of texture and dimension.
- Mix and match: Don’t be afraid to mix different prints and textures. For example, combine a floral skirt with a striped top, or pair a colorful sequined top with a neutral bottom.
- Embrace color: Don’t be afraid to experiment with bright and bold colors. A bright red blazer or a royal blue dress can really make a statement.
- Try different silhouettes: Try different shapes and sizes of clothing. A-line skirts, off-the-shoulder tops, and wrap dresses can be very flattering.
Let’s take a look at these tips in action!
Styling A Vintage-Inspired Cardigan
I thrifted this blue vintage-inspired cardigan because it looks similar to one that Molly Ringwald wears in the movie Pretty In Pink.
Unfortunately, my life isn’t quite the same as that character and I’ve struggled to incorporate it into my wardrobe.
Styling A Denim Kimono
This kimono was thrifted on a whim because I thought “when else am I going to see a denim kimono?!”. I now know they’re not popular because they’re kind of difficult to style—or at least this one is. I think the biggest downfall is the length. It hits at an awkward place on my body and would be better if it was longer.
But in the spirit of the challenge, I found a way to make it work as-is! I did some digging on Pinterest and found a lot of cool double denim outfits so I gave that a try and really liked the outcome!
Styling A Sweater Vest
I’m sure I’m not the only fashion fiend who saw Harry Styles wear a sweater vest and immediately needed to add one to their life. While this isn’t a particularly difficult piece to style (no pun intended) I had a little trouble incorporating it into the silhouettes I normally wear.
The easy solution was to try something completely new and I LOVE it! This is totally going to be my Valentine’s Day look this year.
I think this outfit perfectly incorporates all of my tips about shape, color, layering, accessorizing, and trying new things.
What’s In YOUR Closet?
With these tips in mind, you can make the most out of those hard-to-wear items in your closet and create stylish and unique outfits! Let me know what you think of this topic and what piece in YOUR closet needs some help styling. I’d be happy to help out in the comments!
Please be sure to Pin this post if you found it valuable or share it with a friend who would use come closet encouragement.