What’s the big deal with being a thrifter? You’ve probably heard about it from your friends, from strangers, and you’ve definitely read it on this blog, but why should you be doing it?
If you need a little convincing that thrifting is for you then you’re in the right place!
I can’t imagine my life without a thrift store and others can’t imagine a life with one. But here are 12 good reasons why you should give it a try:
- You’ll have stuff that nobody else has! If you like owning unique things then thrift stores are definitely made for you. No two thrift stores are exactly alike!
- To save money. As covered in an earlier blog post, you don’t have to be poor to thrift. It’s for everyone, especially those who are careful with their money and prefer to save rather than splurge.
- For the thrill of the hunt. It takes almost no imagination to walk into a mass retailer and find exactly what you’re looking for. But thrifting is always an adventure and you never know what you’ll find!
- To experience the past in a new way. It’s one thing to read about 1970’s kitchen appliances but it’s another thing to walk into a thrift store and hold them in your hands. It’s free to look and, unlike in a museum setting, you’re able to touch all the old stuff that you want to and buy it!
- For growing a collection of old or outdated things. If you have a goal of collecting something odd or rare, a thrift store is the perfect place to start your search.
- To scout prices for selling your own stuff. Do you have a shop yourself? Why not visit a thrift store to get a feel for what’s out there and what price it’s selling for. It’s free research!
- Because it’s fun. If retail shopping gets your heart pumping, then you must experience a thrift store.. especially on a sale day!
- To meet new people. It’s so cliche to meet people at a pub or church – why not meet some interesting characters at a thrift store? You never know where you’ll meet your future best friend!
- It will give you something to do. Places like the library or a thrift store are a great place to get you through an afternoon or a quick lunch break!
- So you can buy cool stuff. I think my thrift haul videos or even this weird room tour video I made are evidence of the cool stuff you can find.
- To give back. Thrift stores operate to give back to different charities. Do some investigating on your own to find out which stores line up with your values and where you’d like your dollars to go. This is a personal choice so don’t let others pressure you into supporting something you’re not comfortable with.
- Help keep clothes (and other stuff) out of landfills. Recycling is a very hot topic and rightfully so. We’ve all gotta work together to keep our Earth clean. Rather than turn this into a PSA, I’ll let you research this topic on your own. A good place to start is with the documentary The True Cost.
There’s so many more benefits to be had from being a thrifter. These are just a few of my favorite things. Let me know in the comments what your favorite thing about being a thrifter is and you manage to convince others to join you! 😉
LIKE THIS POST? HERE’S MORE THRIFTY READS:
CATCH UP WITH ME ON: