How To Find New Thrift Stores in Your Area
What are the best search terms to use when trying to find a new thrift store in your area?
Whether you’re traveling cross country or just exploring your neighborhood, it’s always fun to find new-to-you secondhand haunts in your area.
This list of keywords will help you with your Google search and get you started on some good leads!
Search Terms To Use To Find Thrift Stores
A thrift store is defined as a store selling secondhand clothes and other household goods, typically to raise funds for a charitable institution.
These can include chain stores like Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul, Arc, Assistance League, Idaho Youth Ranch, Habitat ReStore, Out of the Closet, Thrift Town, and many others that vary region to region.
To quickly sweep an entire area and find the local nuggets, try using these search terms on Google:
- Thrift Store
- Consignment Store
- Antique Store
- Antique Mall
- Vintage Store
- Resale Store
- Junk Store
- Discount Outlet
- Pawn Shops
Search Terms To Use To Find Home Sales
Another way to shop secondhand is to buy directly from others via sales at their home or another private location.
Plug in these key terms to find out what’s happening nearby:
- Garage sale
- Yard Sale
- Rummage Sale
- Estate Sale
- Moving Sale
- Church Sale
- Tag Sales
More Tips For Finding Secondhand Stores & Sales
In addition to a Google search, you can use some more thorough methods of searching out sales. Try some of these tips:
- Use EstateSales.net to find sales for private residents
- Navigate TheThriftShopper.com
- Browse vintage & secondhand stores curated by Emily Stochl of Preloved Podcast
- The Thrift Store Map on my website has personal recommendations from yours truly
- Ask a thrift store employee for other store recommendations
- Ask your friends and family for recommendations
- Read the personal ads in a newspaper (a hard copy or online!)
- Utilize Facebook groups or Facebook Marketplace listings for upcoming sales or shop hours
- Join other online communities (outside of Facebook) for thrifting enthusiasts
The Thrill Of The Hunt
By using a variety of search terms, you can increase your chances of finding the perfect store for you! It just takes a little effort to find the best secondhand stores.
Good luck and happy thrifting!
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to bookmark or Pin it for future reference. Sharing it with friends is always welcome, too!