What You Should and Should Not Thrift
When I’m not thrifting, I love hunting for bargains at mainstream stores. There’s often different advantages to shopping at both and I want to share a few of them with you!
• I look for things that fill a hole in my closet. We all get swept up in looking at pretty things at stores but I always stop to ask if an item will fulfill a purpose in my wardrobe. You really have to be honest with yourself and not just say “I need it because it’s cute!”
• I consider price and value. It’s no secret that thrift store prices are on the rise! If I know I can find an item for a few dollars more at a retail store, then I will likely consider buying it there.
• I always buy my basics full price. This includes camis, leggings, and socks. I view them as pieces that support almost every outfit so I’d prefer being the first owner so I can anticipate their shelf life better than if I bought one secondhand.
• I’ll buy something if I can’t find it at a thrift store. If I see something that I’ve been searching high and low for, I will definitely purchase it without hesitation.
• I look for unique things. While almost everything at thrift stores is one-of-a-kind, you can often find some special items first hand as well. This is especially true at small boutiques or specialty shops!
On a similar note, if I’m on a vacation or shopping far away from home and I find something I think I’ll never see again, I’ll snatch it up.
👗 WHAT I’M WEARING 💄
Maurices cardigan and booties, $46 total (shop exact cardigan, shop exact booties) | H&M jeggings, $12 (shop exact jeggings) | Thrifted tee, $1.50 (shop similar tee) | Gifted necklace | L’Oreal lipstick in Saucy Mauve (shop exact lipstick)
How To Shop Mainstream Stores
There’s no need to feel afraid of shopping mainstream stores if you’re usually a dedicated thrifter or have fears about the effects they have on our environment. An informed shopper is a good shopper! So shop thoughtfully, be educated, be strategic. Here’s a few other quick rules to follow:
• Shop small when possible.
• Choose stores with good core values and beliefs that match your own.
• Shop in places that make you feel welcome and have a friendly environment.
• If price is a factor, pick stores that frequently run sales.
My entire look in this post is a great example of everything I just laid out for you. My booties and cardigan are recent Maurices purchases, my tee was thrifted, my necklace was a gift, and my high rise jeggings were bought on sale at H&M.
All together you get one cute fall outfit but you’d never guess how it was all sourced!
🛍 SHOP MY LOOK 🛍
CATCH UP WITH ME ON: